If you thought that the FDA only does its job while regulating the foods that you eat, you’re wrong. It also brings within its authority and cosmetic and personal care skin products which you apply on your face for different purposes. Just as the way you look at labels while buying food items, you should also check the ingredients while choosing skin care products.
You may not know but it is true that there are hundreds of chemicals within your skin care products which gradually get absorbed within your body. As we see, the cosmetic industry is extremely unregulated and hence you never know what is going to be used in your skin care product. Here are few ingredients you should avoid while buying your cosmetics.
- Parabens: Parabens are most often used in cosmetic products as preservatives which prohibit the growth of mold, yeast and bacteria. No, they don’t do this sole job but they have even better tasks. Parabens often have properties which mimic estrogen and hence are related to increased risk of breast cancer. When your skin absorbs such chemicals, it might lead to breast tumors.
- Fragrance: What is the actual meaning of ‘fragrance’? The companies created the fragrance to safeguard the secret of the product but in the perspective of customers, they could be having tons of chemicals which are problematic for their health. Fragrance is associated with dermatitis, allergies, possible impact on the reproductive system and respiratory distress.
- Synthetic colors: If you check the label of the product and if you find FD&C or D&C, make sure you avoid them as they depict usage of artificial colors. These letters are used before a number and color and you have to spot this in order to stay safe. Such synthetic colors are made from coal tar and petroleum sources. Such colors are considered as human carcinogen which irritates the skin.
- Triclosan: This is an antimicrobial chemical which is commonly used and which is called an endocrine disruptor. This specific chemical causes irritation to the skin and also misbalances the reproductive hormones. Triclosan is found in antibacterial soaps, toothpastes and even in deodorants.
- Sunscreen chemicals: Such chemicals play the role of sunscreen agent and they usually absorb ultraviolet rays. You might not have known but it’s true that these sunscreen chemicals disrupt your normal hormone secretion and they are easily absorbed by the body. They might even cause cancer and cellular damage within the body.
Therefore, now that you know about the chemicals that you should avoid in your skin care products, make sure you go through the labels and avoid them. Get your favorite products from www.skincareheaven.com.